Friday, August 2, 2013

The Session #78 - My Elevator Pitch for Craft Beer


This month's Session is hosted by Beer Bar Band
Here’s the scenario: 
You walk into an elevator and hit the button for your destination level. Already in the elevator is someone holding a beer…and it’s a beer that annoys you because, in your view, it represents all that is bad with the current state of beer.
You can’t help but say something, so you confront your lift passenger with the reason why their beer choice is bad.
30 seconds is all you have to sell your pitch for better beer, before the lift reaches the destination floor. There’s no time, space or words to waste. You must capture and persuade the person’s attention as quickly as possible. When that person walks out of the elevator, you want them to be convinced that you have the right angle on how to make a better beer world.
Who brews the beer you've got there? No, I don't mean the company. Who is the person that comes up with the recipes? I'm a huge Dogfish Head  fan myself. Sam Calagione is the face of Dogfish Head. Have you ever heard of them? It's really awesome what he's helped build in the craft beer community recently. With his vision Dogfish Head has helped make India Pale Ale one of the most sought after beer styles in the world. Their beers are so full of flavor, balanced, and they pair well with so many foods. But I think the coolest thing he's done at Dogfish Head is with their Ancient Ales Project. Sam traveled around the world learning about different fermented drinks and used that knowledge to recreate some lesser known styles of beer. It's truly awe inspiring stuff and I love how history gets mixed in with something as simple as beer. One of the beers he did, which also happens to be my girlfriend's favorite, is called Midas Touch. It's actually "based on molecular evidence found in a Turkish tomb believe to have belonged to King Midas". How cool is that?! Anyway, looks like this is my floor. Enjoy your beer and I'll see you around.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I'm with you there. I've never had a bad beer when I've drunk it alongside the person you thought up and crafted the beer. Cheers!

    Here;s my Session Roundup post : http://beerbarband.com/2013/08/20/the-session-78-roundup-you-pitched-you-scored/

    ReplyDelete